Saturday 19 May 2018

Cult War: Month 4

Another month and another tale of wanting to get shizz done but quite managing it. Despite the lack of concrete results plenty of stuff has happened. Listen good reader as I tell you a tale…

 


So I have managed to paint something and it’s a vehicle which is a bigger than normal model so that’s something, yes? After ruminating over which style of red, black or red and black official colour schemes found in the Tempestus Scions codex, I went with blue, like the Volpone Blue Bloods from the Gaunt’s Ghost’s novels. This particular model is a Taurox Prime, it’s a transport for my ten men but also packs a punch with a variety of weapons. I’ve gone anti-infantry as the majority of Allen’s force is infantry but have magnetised the turret so I can swap between a Gatling cannon or a mini Battle Cannon.



Now, there is a lot to recommend the Taurox model visually, just not the tracks. I get that GW wants to standardise the Militarum’s vehicles as tracked tanks but the model looks ridiculous built straight out of the box. That is why I forked out for the replacement wheels from Victoria Miniatures. You can see the difference they make, much more attractive. I’ve just ordered another set for my second Taurox.



Also this month I’ve put together the full 50 power points Allen and I agreed on for our first game. It is a Guard army, including all the models for Start Collecting: Tempestus Scions plus my Inquisitor and a few of his retinue along with a Militarum force comprised of Squats. Yes, Squats! I received GW’s first official squat model in over 20 years this month too so I don’t want to hear any eye rolling.

I am not using all these models in my list, unfortunately I couldn’t fit the Ogryns in but it has three full squads of infantry to yell obscenities at Allen’s lines. The off road quads I am proxying as Sentinels and I have an order for some new Mantic models that I shall be proxying as other Squat scaled Militarum vehicles.

I also received the parts for my secret units for later down the line. I’ll be working on these at the same time as my regular units, this month’s being the Scions ten man squad and a Commissar. Now I have the colour scheme down the infantry should come along quickly.



In other hobby news I have purchased my first bar of hobby soap. It is amazing. I shall not be painting any more without it. My brushes are pretty grotty and the difference the soap has made is noticeable, some of them have regained their points! I have some new brushes as well and will be maintaining them properly from the start, I hope to see an improvement in the longevity.

Pictures have emerged of the Eldar Webway gate that is being released this month. Finally, plastic Eldar scenery! I’ll be having one of these to go along with my mdf Aeldari pieces. It does mean I have to buy the Harlequin codex on release so I have the full rules but having the ability to bring in any Eldar unit close to the enemy as I assume it does is worth it.


Also, Warhammer Fest. There were a number of interesting things announced but only one really matters, the Return of Adeptus Titanicus. It’s not far off now either, August.So expect to see my Cult progress be surrendered to my love of Titans and epic scale, new or old, in general.

**********************

Man April was a tough month. And it's had a significant effect on my output, no less than four trips to hospital and several other upheavals have meant that not much got accomplished.

I DID manage to get work started on the characters at least. After several months of solid batch painting and nothing but troops it was a pleasant change of pace. They aren't finished but they are on their way. After all what is a Brotherhood without it's Yellow King?



Speaking of yellow, the Broodlord/Patiarch is the yellowest thing I have painted so far and ergo probably the biggest challenge. I look forward to getting it finished.



Alas, pretty much all painting ceased as two things happened in swift sucession.

1: Forgebane was released. Hello Adeptus Mechanicus army!

2: The Dark Eldar finally actually got a decent and characterful codex! Hello Dark Eldar Army!

The Admech were new, Forgebane was the core and then I bought other units to go on top. Pretty much everything is assembled.

The Drukhari on the other hand I have had for YEARS, I got them when the range was revitalised by Jes Goodwin and they've sat there ever since  new on sprue waiting for a decent book. Sadly they had some wait and sat their for entire editions as they suffered garbage book after garbage book. A shame.



So, lots of assembly, not so much painting. It's still technically cults just machine cults and Wych cults  (i have over 70 Wyches.)



But other than that, the month has been a total bust and I cannot deny that progress has stalled. Oh well, Lee and I have a game scheduled soon and that should give me some impetus to get more done, i'm still way ahead. We are starting at 50 Power Points to keep things nice and simple.

Then it's a mission to get a decent Cultwar done by August, for the Titans are a-coming....


No comments:

Post a Comment