Sunday 4 February 2018

Titan Comics Games Workshop License Review: Blood Bowl, Dawn of War III and Warhammer 40,000

It’s been a while since I first took a look at the 40k title that Titan Comics launched a while ago so I thought it was worth another look. In addition they have added two extra titles which are also worthy of  a review, a Dawn of War III tie in and Blood Bowl.  I don’t think they are done there either, maybe a Necromunda comic in light of recent events?

Firstly, revisiting the ongoing series, that started with  Will of Iron, and is now just starting on its third four issue arc ‘The Fallen’. I’m sad to report that not a great deal has changed. The scale has increased somewhat, with additional factions making an appearance, (Harlequins and Necrons thus far) but it really does feel like lip service only being paid and in the case of the Necrons you get the feeling they are fairly interchangeable bad guys.  They certainly aren’t given room to 'breathe'.



Yes we get to see the female inquisitor kick some and the action is well drawn and dynamic and very easy on the eye (thought still very ‘comicky’) but it all feels very shallow and so-so. The writing itself is punchy but the plot doesn’t feel like it is going anywhere or of any import. I would much rather see the resources here put into a Heresy title. I’m not sure how long this series is planned to be but I rather hope that something happens soon because at the moment it feels like it just doesn’t matter.



Next up we have Dawn of War III.  Now the game might be pretty poorly received for the most part but I can’t comment on that as I don’t have the specs on my PC to play it. In all honesty that is starting to feel like a bullet dodged rather than an opportunity missed.

The tie in comic though, is really rather good. It features all three of the playable races from the game, Blood Ravens, Orks and Eldar but does so in a much more equal and organic fashion. Pretty simple really. Marines are at war with the Orks, as always and the Eldar are that interfering third faction. The Blood Angels are looking for their chapter master Gabriel Angelos so I presume that this tie in is serving as a prequel to the game but as  I say I have not played it so apologies for any potential spoiler there.



The artwork is REALLY nice, it’s very organic and from what I recall from the seminar I attended at Warhammer Fest the artist does actually draw everything rather than the usual digital art we get. In addition the colouring is really good and unusual with  sympathetic tones being used and lending the pictures an almost watercolour look, it’s very impressive and jumps off the page at you. I much prefer it to the other comic which seems soulless by comparison.

The story is improved too, although nowhere near as ambitious it does a good job of making you care about the characters and the usual tropes of heroic sacrifice and xenos purging feature. Impossible odds, last stands, it’s all here.



Overall, if I were to recommend either of these titles, I would without suggestion say Dawn of War which has achieved more in its four issues than the ongoing series has in eight.  I’m simply hoping that the Third Arc ‘the Fallen’ actually does something to ignite my interest. Still for the REAL deal its Blood Bowl that is the ticket.

Oh Nick Kyme, I know we have had our differences in the past. I know I malign anything you write that is longer than a novella. I know that overall I have given some pretty mixed reviews to your work, but let me just say, your work on Blood Bowl is SUBLIME. Really top notch, I’d go as far as to say perfect in feeling and setting and humour and, well just everything.



You see I have often said that the more Nick is forced to write the worse he gets, the more pages he produces the more difficult he seems to find it to keep a coherent narrative and the more he falls back on tired tropes and overused adjectives. Ergo his short stories and novellas tend to be very good.  Novels, not so much. 

But it is comic writing that I do believe could be his forte. Genuinely funny and memorable, full of in jokes and that wry Blood Bowl irreverence that we all know and love, Blood Bowl is a pleasure to read every time and I hope another season appears soon



And it’s not even as if it’s a particularly novel concept. Washed out drunkard ex player returns to the game to help a struggling team as a last ditch effort to save them from oblivion. It’s a story that has been told many times before.  But it’s the way that it is delivered, with memorable characters ( I have always felt that Nick does well with characterisation), and attention to detail and an unswerving loyalty to the subject material. Throw in some commentary from the stalwarts Jim and Bob and you have the complete package as hilarious mayhem, ensues and somewhere amongst all the carnage a game is played.

The art is also perfect, really impactful and in your face, and full of little touches that make the difference, there is a real dynamism to the work, as you would expect from a series based around an action sport. It fits the subject matter perfectly and the text and art marry to create a great comic. I can’t wait for more.



Now, it might sound like I am a little biased here, but hopefully I have done a decent job of rationalising my opinions and the included pages will help you out. However, allow me to leave you this brief summary:

If you want in your face action on a grander scale, and are not overly bothered about the plot and just want a decent representation of the game in comic format, then choose the Ongoing series,

If you want something a little more personal and grounded yet still just as exciting with a more naturalistic (relatively) look then choose the Dawn Of War book

If you want insane over the top action, memorable characters and barrels of laughs plus that distinct Blood Bowl flavour in spades then choose Blood Bowl.

I think you’ll be able to tell my favourite.





No comments:

Post a Comment